Orders may be placed by letter, fax, phone or e-mail. Payment can be made by credit card or personal check.
Please include the following information with your order:
PART ONE (Everyone should fill out this part)
- Billing address with city, state and ZIP code
- Shipping address, if different
- Home telephone number with area code
- Work or cell telephone number with area code
- Quality of regalia (Deluxe, Faculty Quality, Souvenir)
PART TWO Type of regalia (Doctoral, Master, Bachelor, etc.)
- Height and weight of each person receiving regalia
- Doctoral regalia only
- Velvet color (Black; Ph.D. Blue; JD Purple; Ed.D Light Blue; Scarlet or other)
- Optional (Deluxe Doctoral only)
- Gown fabric other than black? If so, which color?
- Piping on gown? If so, which color?
- K12 only
- Color of cap and gown
- Color of tassel
PART THREE Hood
The velvet indicates the degree (for example dark royal for Ph.D; light blue for Ed.D; hunter green for Medicine etc.) and the school colors are indicated on the satin lining.
- Ph.D. Hoods
- Please keep in mind that dark royal blue is used for all Ph.D. degree holders, regardless of specialty of discipline. So, for example, while an Ed.D. receives light blue signifying education, a Ph.D in Education uses the Ph.D blue. For that reason, to avoid confusion, Ph.D. holders should order their hoods as Ph.D. hoods and NOT as doctor of (specialty) hoods.
- Doctor Hoods
- Doctors who are not Ph.D holders, such as Ed.D., M.D., J.D., etc., should order their gowns and hoods as "doctor gown" or "doctor hood", rather than as "Ph.D gown" or "Ph.D hood", and then specify the color velvet for gown (black, light blue, hunter green, purple, etc.,) and color of velvet for the hood.
- Specify exact degree for velvet
- Remember that all Ph.D. holders receive the dark Ph.D blue velvet regardless of the discipline/specialty of their Ph.D. whereas bachelors/masters/doctors (non Ph.D) would receive their degree color.
- School and city you graduated from
- Some universities have several campuses. We need to know which campus you graduated from, as often the colors vary from one to another.
- Optional (Deluxe Only)
- Piping on hood? If so what color?
Unless otherwise requested, we will send you the hood in the same quality as the gown you selected.
PART 4 Tam (Doctoral only)
- 4 or 6 or 8 side
- Gold bullion or rayon (silky) tassel
- Head size or cap size
- Note: If you do not purchase a tam, and would like a mortarboard sent to you at no charge, simply indicate so here. We do not require your head size for mortarboards, as we use a one size fits all elastic cap that tends to fit most people much better than the old "sized" caps. However most faculty members feel most comfortable in a tam.
- Normal (black-velvet) tam or optional "other than black" tam. If so, what color?
PART 5 Date Needed
so we know whether to ship via UPS Ground, or by Air (i.e. Fedex)
If you require custom items, and you do not have six weeks to wait, would you like us to send you free loaner regalia, while your customized regalia is being made?
PART 6 Special requests, confirmations, etc.
If there is anything different or special about this order other than the options mentioned above (such as gown piping), be sure to let us know. We will contact you if we have questions about your order.
Help us help you
Did the information provided in the web site satisfactorily address your questions concerning academic regalia, and how might we improve it?
You can either e-mail us, or print and fax, or print and mail us your order.
If you fax it, please fax it to 561-431-8172 or Toll Free (USA) 1-888-315-8760
If you would prefer to mail us your order (be sure to include all of the above info) with check, money order, or credit card info, send to one of the addresses below.
Our phone number is 412-422-GOWN (412-422-4696)
USPS Mailing Address:
Saxon Uniform Network, Inc.
P.O. BOX 81689
Pitssburgh, PA 15217
UPS or Fedex Shipping Address:
Saxon Uniform Network, Inc.
234 9th Street
Braddock, PA 15104
One of the nice things about our company is that we give personal attention to each order. We also offer free loaners, so if there isn't time to make you what you need when you need it, we would rush you loaner regalia while your regalia is being made. When you're done with it, just send it back to us. We do, however, work hard to keep most items in stock.
We have real human beings here! If you would like you can also call us toll free at 1-800-788-9336; however generally in order to avoid phone tag, e-mail seems to work the best most of the time.
Thank you for contacting us, and we look forward to facilitating your regalia purchase.
Terms of sale
Cap and Gowns dot com is a division of Saxon Uniform Network, Inc. If you are paying by check, please make payable to Saxon Uniform Network, Inc. If you are paying by credit card, your charge will read Saxon Uniform Network.
If for whatever reason the cap or gown you purchase does not fit, we would be glad to exchange it for a larger or smaller size. If the cap or gown you purchase is made incorrectly, we will be glad to remake it for you at no charge.
However, all academic regalia sales are final. We have had to implement this policy due to the fact that some people looking for a "free rental" have bought caps and gowns from us, only to return them after commencement for one reason or another. The only exceptions to our 'all sales final' rule is as follows: Customers who purchase economy or classic robes from us, and then decide to upgrade will be given full credit of their purchase price towards the classic or deluxe gown/hood/tam purchase within one year of their original purchase, provided the original is still in new condition. So, for example, if a person purchased a economy gown for $80.00 and later decided to upgrade to a $175.00 set, we would upon receipt of their economy gown, credit them the $80.00, and they would only need to pay $95.00 If a person purchased a $175.00 classic gown and decided to upgrade to the deluxe, then they could return the gown for a $175.00 credit and would only need to pay $115.00. Please note that all custom hoods, being custom made (school and discipline colors) cannot be upgraded.
Individuals wishing to upgrade or needing to exchange their gowns for a different size should contact our office before shipping to obtain a return number.
How long will it take to get my order?
Our standard delivery policy is 6-8 weeks, from the time of payment of your order, until delivery. However, we are often able to get the caps and gowns to you much sooner than that, especially for in-stock (non custom made) items. If the gown is in stock, but the hood must be made, we can often send you a loaner hood. Let us say, for example, that you want a Ph.D. cap and gown that we can ship the same day. You need to march in three weeks, but the color hood you need takes 6-8 weeks to make. We can send you a substitute hood upon receipt of your payment. While this may not be the exact color you need, it is better than not having a hood at all, and most people don't know the difference anyway. In the meantime, we can begin making your custom color hood. We send out your cap, gown, tassel, and loaner hood right away. As soon as the custom hood is ready, it is sent to you. Upon receipt of the actual hood, you send us back the loaner! We are also often able to do this with custom gowns by sending you a loaner gown upon receipt of order, while your deluxe or custom gown is being made. This arrangement has helped many faculty members who need hoods or special gowns right away! And we don't charge any extra for it either. Please indicate your NEED DATE when placing your order, and we will try to accommodate!
For even faster rush service, we offer air shipping (at a slightly higher charge). If you have any questions, or if you would like to check whether the type of gown you are looking for is in stock, please call or e-mail us.